Gratitude: turkey-free
Well, I must do a gratitude note on Thanksgiving day, mustn't I? This is my only celebration of the holiday this year. I'll try to give my US family a call in a bit, but it was just too much to think about planning a big meal or a social occasion during this very full-on university term.
Here are some this-week things I'm grateful for:
- For Dom the decorator and the great work he did on a tricky job. (For Ali recommending him years ago.) For the wallpaper choices that we're happy with and the family agreement on those wallpapers. The amount of wallpaper choice in the world is overwhelming—there are so many beautiful things out there. Having to have three people agree on something cuts down the choices quite a bit!
- For a lovely feminist night out with five lovely women to eat some Greek food and see Caroline Criado Perez speak—especially since it meant spending some time with interesting people who I don't get to see much!
- For positive feedback on our essay feedback from our first-year students.
- For positive feedback on our assessment and employability strategies (something I care a lot about) in a course validation this week.
- For a really great conversation with G a few days ago. I love that she's loving Philosophy class.
And here are some big Thanksgiving-level things to express gratitude for, while simultaneously being superstitious about mentioning them.
- That we've stayed pretty healthy this year.
- That my dad seems to be doing well.
- For our home—both the basic shelter of it and how much happier it makes me now that we've improved it.
- For Phil's progress on his books, his volunteer baking, and his project-management of our house project. (I like it when we're all busy!)
- For G's common sense, her friends, and her enthusiasms.
- For Linguistics. I love it so much.
- For friends and family near and far. For the technologies that keep us together when we're apart.
- For our adaptations to the new normal.