Gratitude: sleeping over
G has a friend to sleep over tonight and slept over at a friend's house earlier in the week. This is news because she has never liked sleepovers, and I don't blame her: the feeling of being awake and alone in a strange place after the friend has gone to sleep is no fun, nor is having to put up with someone sleeping in your room when you can't. But she decided she needed to build up skills for sleeping away on school trips and the like, and so she's committed herself to more sleepovers. I'm proud of her for thinking that through.
Her sleepover (and having one more friend over this afternoon) means I've been exiling myself to other parts of the house to give them space/privacy while they play video games in the living room and draw on the dining table. And that's meant that I've done reading and writing today, which is not bad for a Saturday. I have failed in my goal to write up a journal article in July. Too much time spent on head-of-department stuff, editor stuff, other people's projects. But I think I just have to let the article go for now. I have to put the book on the front burner and burn through it. Facebook tells me this is the anniversary of me learning I got the NEH grant for it. What a weird year to have had a writing grant.
Anyhow, I am grateful:
- For sleepovers.
- For The Sparks Brothers. Two days since we saw it, but still thinking about it tons.
- For the return of cinema in general and for the wonderful cinemas near us.
- For the flat (doughnut) peaches and cherries that summer has brought. The flat peaches are so much more pleasant to eat than the round ones. Who'da thunk it?
- For Do it all the time (IDKHow), which has been stuck in my head for days. It makes an excellent dance break between work Pomodoros. As does this song (Ting Tings, Wrong Club). It's looking like I'm going to have to pay for Spotify after my 3-month trial is done, because I'm getting to like having it.
- For this bit of a mural on the bridge over Falmer station. The whole thing is about the Bee Friendly Trust (and it has lots more flowers and bees), but this is the bit that I can see from my vantage point on the ground. And when I see it I think "that's what I want to practise today: friendly trust."