Gratitude: fifty-sixth Sunday

Term-time left me no room to think about anything, but writing time opens the mind, so I am thinking more thoughts these days. But I'm posting less here and on Facebook because the current set-up means I'm not going onto the computer after working hours. Some might think this is good work-life balance, but it isn't. It's just having no place good for doing anything while the house is a building site. All we tend to do in the evenings is watching tv (and a little reading) because it's just not comfortable to do much else at home. 

Yesterday we had a belated burger in the Pavilion Gardens. (That had been the plan for Mother's Day in March, but on the day it felt too cold and windy for it to be fun.) While it's not particularly warm out, the sun has been shining brightly all weekend, and Brighton felt almost back to normal, with lots of people milling about, at cafe and pub tables outside and picnicking in parks. I'm missing all the food vans that were around last spring. We went to Preston Park today, where they could have done a roaring business.

Here are some things I'm feeling grateful for:


1. Picard Tips on Twitter.

2.  Growing up in a funeral home. It struck me the other day how much I get out of having had that experience. It wasn't always fun when I was a kid: having to be quiet a lot, having family plans cancelled constantly, not being able to go on vacations till phone technology improved. But as a grown up, it gives me insight into aspects of life that get closer and closer, some behind-the-scenes knowledge and some stories to tell...

3. Tulips. The ones I planted in the autumn (front and back garden) are all trapped behind building works, but there are plenty of others to admire around town.



4. Facebook memories (again). Pre-2020, there are lots of fun ones: vacations, the research trip I did for a dictionary project, the release/promotion of Prodigal Tongue. At this point in the 2020 record, I decided to stop recording everything about what lockdown was like and instead to just write about what was different each day. So glad I have that record. Lately, I feel like I'm in a complete rut. And I'm probably enjoying rut-hood too much.

5. Beautiful weather. I've been walking way too little since having the office down the hill. I get out, go there, and then just want to stay and get things done (and do my online exercise classes) till dinner time. I'm glad the weather was good enough this weekend for a couple of good walks.

6. Phil's building-project management.

7. That G's been able to hang out with friends in person this week.