Gratitude: fifty-eighth Wednesday

I've had 'write gratitude note' on my to-do list since the weekend. While I'd not found the time to write one properly, I have been jotting down things I'm grateful for along the way.

This week, I got to the point where I had to retire (to the laundry hamper) the tunic and the dress I've been wearing for most of our non-laundry time. So I'm wearing one of the dresses I've ordered and not worn during lockdown. And I was going to get my hair done. And so I decided that today was the day to wear my watch and my wedding ring—for the first time since the first lockdown. I am re-entering the world, a bit.

Today (this week) I am grateful for:

  1. The Allusionist Eclipse expansion episode, in which Helen Z talks with Lauren Marks about her experience of aphasia. It's absolutely the right aspect of aphasia for the book I'm working on, and Marks is so eloquent and interesting.

  2. My homemade wrist rest (made of hand-me-down curtains and lentils). I didn't know what I was doing when I made it, but it's served me so well over the years.


  3. A newly found food kiosk, not too far from where I work (on the way to my hairdresser), which sold me a delicious chicken schwarma box. And with my order, I was given an 'After Eight' cake, on the excuse that they were going to be closing up soon.

  4. Compliments (and I'm not even talking about the ones re my haircut).

  5. A really useful online writing class/group I attended tonight as a trial. I think I'll sign up for the membership.

  6. People I'm still in touch with from my 20s. Thank you for putting up with me in my 20s. And now.

  7. Being on leave.

  8. Little bits of money coming in—helpful during these 6 weeks when I have no UK-accessible income. And the fact that people still use older books of mine.

  9. That my usual stylist did my hair, even though they'd told me in the morning that she wouldn't be there.